The oldest headstone relating to a Gawn in Co. Antrim is to be
found in Kilbride graveyard, situated about two miles northwest
of the village of Doagh. Whilst this graveyard is beside a
Presbyterian Church it predates the church by many years.
Originally a Church of Ireland church stood at the edge of the
graveyard and this was the burying place for a large part of the
district. Whilst the inscription on the headstone does not
mention Andrew Gawn, James was his elder brother, so this
memorial was to Andrew's father.
A headstone to
Andrew stands beside his father's grave.
Erected by James Gawn of
In memory of his Father,
and his Mother,
died 19/6/1800,aged 56.
Also his daughter, Agnes,
died August 1814 aged 16 years.
With three of his children who died
Also to James Gawn, erector died Dec 8/1816, aged 50 years.
Also James Gawn, son of the erector died 28/12/1835, aged 34 years.
Also grandson, James Bryson, died 19/3/1850, aged 22yrs.